Amboseli Nationwide Park is superbly full of superb sightings. Dubbed the “Residence of the African Elephant”, it’s one of many safari locations in Kenya to expertise the unbeatable touristic actions.
It’s additionally one of many two premium nationwide parks in Kenya and is situated within the south-eastern area of Kenya close to Tanzania. Its magnificence is unknown to many and valued by few, however when you go to you’ll perpetually be in love with this vacation spot.
Famed for its excellent elephant herds—the park’s elephant inhabitants estimated at 1600. The majestic creatures are set with a backdrop of the snow-capped Mount Kilimanjaro in neighboring Tanzania. Vegetation within the park is dominated by acacia woodland, rocky thorn bushes, marshland and a Pleistocene Lake Amboseli.
Aside from the assured wildlife sightings within the park, one can delve deeper into the sphere of wildlife conservation that provides as much as Kenya’s elite wildlife experiences. Nationwide Parks in Kenya are a fantastic promoting level for Kenya’s tourism trade and many individuals take pleasure in safari expertise with a steely willpower to marvel on the Huge 5. Nonetheless, the Amboseli Nationwide Park provides greater than wildlife and you might be assured a fantastic expertise.
On this article are a number of the greatest actions to do in Amboseli Nationwide Park. We additionally share data on how you can get to Amboseli Nationwide Park, working hours and entrance charges, and a number of the prime lodging choices for you.
Additionally try: Nairobi Nationwide Park: The Solely Nationwide Park in a City
Right here’s what to sit up for:
Methods to get to Amboseli Nationwide Park
Amboseli Nationwide Park has 4 gates: Iremito, Meshanani, Kimana, and Kitirua.
The park is definitely accessible by street from Nairobi, Kenya’s capital. The park is roughly 240km from Nairobi, which interprets to a 4-hour drive by way of the Nairobi-Namanga route by way of its Meshanani gate. This route is faster because it has minimal visitors and is much more scenic.
Alternatively, one can take the Nairobi-Emali route by way of Mombasa street, which might be a 3-hour drive with out visitors. Nevertheless, this route could be slower as Mombasa street is among the many busiest roads; thus, certain to expertise heavy visitors particularly throughout peak hours. Accessing the park from Mombasa is especially via Tsavo Nationwide Park, roughly, 7 hours drive.
The park’s proximity to Nairobi makes it accessible for guests who wish to get pleasure from a drive alongside Kenyan roads. It’s also nice for day journeys; nonetheless, to get the very best out of the vacation spot, I’d suggest a two-day keep to exhaust all its merchandise.
By practice you’ll be able to board the SGR at Nairobi or Mombasa and alight at Emali terminus. From Nairobi, the practice takes 1 hour half-hour to get to Emali whereas from Mombasa, the practice takes slightly below 5 hours. From right here, Amboseli is 91km away and you will want to rearrange for pick-up via Amboseli camp or automotive rent providers.
Notably, for a luxurious expertise, guests can get to Amboseli by way of home chartered flights from Nairobi’s Wilson Airport that land within the park’s airstrip or Namanga Airstrip, within the close by Namanga city. The flight is roughly 90 minutes.
Amboseli Nationwide Park working hours and entrance charges
The park operates between 6 am – 7 pm all 12 months spherical inclusive of public holidays. No entry is allowed previous 6:15 pm.
As of 2023, Kenyan residents and residents visiting the park, pay an entrance payment of ksh 860 for adults and ksh 215 for kids, whereas non-residents are charged ksh 8,469 ($60) for adults and ksh 4,940 ($35) for kids. All charges are legitimate for twenty-four hours.
Extra detailed data on the associated fee overview and different prices could be accessed via the parks administration web site, the Kenya Wildlife Service. When visiting the park remember that all funds are cashless and so they settle for Mpesa, Visa, and direct financial institution deposits.
Insider Tip: Whereas the park could be visited all 12 months spherical, the very best time to go to Amboseli Nationwide Park is through the dry season starting June to October and December to February. Right now, the park roads are simply accessible and in good situation for sport drives.
What to do in Amboseli Nationwide Park
1. Sport drive
Amboseli Nationwide Park has various species of untamed animals that inhabit the park’s open plains, rocky thorn bushes, and marsh land. It’s a safari wonderland characterised by the solemnly matching matriarchs and hippos. Whereas sport drives could be performed all day lengthy, the very best time to identify many of the wildlife is early morning and late night. It is because through the day, when the solar is sizzling, the animals keep within the hideouts and solely come out to drink water within the watering holes.
Among the different animals to see on the park embrace; hyenas, giraffes, lions, waterbucks, buffalos, leopards, grant’s gazelles, and zebras amongst different animals.
Insider Tip: Whereas exploring the Amboseli Nationwide Park, it’s important to be a accountable vacationer and prioritize the preservation of wildlife and their habitats. Respect the animals by sustaining a secure distance, chorus from feeding them, and obey the park guidelines.
2. Cultural excursions
A go to to Amboseli Nationwide Park is incomplete with out partaking in a cultural tour. Surrounding the park is the Maasai neighborhood, certainly one of Kenya’s reigning indigenous neighborhood. The Maasai are well-known for his or her tradition and cultural components like dance, souvenirs like beaded jewellery, woven baskets, clothes popularly often called the Maasai shuka and crafts.
Whereas having fun with the Maasai tradition and heritage, guests can interact and take part in the neighborhood’s sustainable growth initiatives like afforestation and different voluntourism actions in the neighborhood.
Insider Tip: Be a accountable vacationer and help the local people by shopping for their items and providers and respecting their tradition and heritage.
Tenting could be frolic and enjoyable and I can’t think about a greater technique to get pleasure from it by tenting exterior a lodge overlooking the majestic African giants and the attractive view of Mount Kilimanjaro. Tenting on the Amboseli Nationwide Park prices roughly $50 for adults and $25 for kids at particular campsites; $30 for adults and $25 for kids at public campsites. I’d recommend making prior enquiries concerning the availability and state of the campsites as a result of they’re hardly maintained.
The park has three frequent campsites, all of that are situated exterior the park. These embrace:
- Kimana Camp Amboseli: the most typical in Amboseli run by the Kenya Wildlife Service. It’s situated simply exterior the park’s Kimana gate. Set beneath enormous acacia timber that present shade from the scorching solar. The camp is a tented camp in addition to a campsite.
- Olgulului Camp Amboseli: this campsite gives a fabulous view of Mount Kilimanjaro. It about 5 minutes away from the park’s Meshanani gate. The camp gives all the fundamental facilities; although, chances are you’ll be required to look a little bit tougher for firewood.
- Kimana Sanctuary: this campsite is privately owned as it’s situated within the close by conservancy. It’s half an hour away from the park gate and has barely completely different prices which might be inclusive of conservancy entrance charges.
4. Guided nature stroll on the Statement Hill
Amboseli Nationwide Park is of course endowed with scenic vegetation, swamps, and elevated view of the park’s plains and animal species on the pyramid-shaped remark hill. The remark hill is among the locations throughout the park, the place guests are allowed to disembark from their automobiles and proceed on foot.
Atop the hill, you will get a panoramic view of the park’s plains and various animal species. On the remark hill, you’ve got entry to the data centre, the place there are pasted boards with information about wildlife like baboons, lions, and birds on the park. Equally, you’ll be able to view the scenic Lake Amboseli with its lovely flamingoes on one aspect and the height of Mount Kilimanjaro on the opposite.
5. Chicken watching
The park gives a house to over 400 species of birds that may be noticed within the marsh space, grasslands, and woodlands. Among the unmissable birds right here embrace the higher flamingo, lesser flamingo, lengthy toed lap claw, Rufous chatter, Spike-heeled heron, Tavete golden weaver, frequent redshank, and Dickinson’s kestrel. Birds could be troublesome to sight when at a distance, due to this fact, having your binoculars is important.
Insider Tip: To get probably the most out of this exercise, fowl watching is greatest accomplished through the moist season (April to June and November to December) when migratory birds are within the Amboseli area.
6. Sizzling Air Balloon Safari
A sizzling air balloon experience is among the most fulfilling actions. Taking a sizzling air balloon experience permits you to fly the Amboseli skies whereas having fun with an aerial view of the park. You’ll be able to see elephant herds and buffalos throughout the plains whereas mingling with birds of the air.
With a scenic backdrop of the snowcapped Mount Kilimanjaro, Amboseli Nationwide Park is a delight for nature lovers. It gives the very best contrasts, terrain, and landscapes to seize the very best of natural world. The nice experiences are price capturing in your lenses for good recollections and nostalgia. Amboseli is often known as a spectacular spot for wildlife images and film-making.
8. Wildlife Conservation and Analysis on the Elephant Analysis Camp
The African elephants on the Amboseli are among the many most studied elephants in Kenya and globally. The analysis camp is situated throughout the park beneath the steerage and management of the Amboseli Belief for Elephants.
Whereas the analysis camp isn’t open to informal visits, guests could make prior preparations for interactive classes with the researchers to find out about their analysis work and the problems related to elephant conservation. It’s additionally a fantastic alternative so that you can be concerned in conservation tourism by making donations to help elephant conservation efforts, collaborating within the elephant naming ceremony, and turning into a member of the Elatia household.
The place to remain and eat at Amboseli Nationwide Park
Amboseli Nationwide Park provides various lodging choices starting from mid-range to luxurious lodging. These can be found each inside and outdoors the park. Whereas staying contained in the park you pay extra, you get the advantage of experiencing lovely dawn and sundown and never having to hurry to get out of the park earlier than closing time.
A few of these choices embrace:
- Kibo Safari Camp: It’s the most advisable lodging facility in Amboseli and rating in first place on Journey Advisor. The camp has a safe fence to maintain off wildlife. It has 73 self-contained tents for single, double, triple and household lodging. Every tent is provided with flush bogs, showers and washbasins. Amongst different facilities is a lounge and bar, eating space, swimming pool, artwork gallery, spa, convention amenities, open terraced restaurant and a memento store. Costs per evening are upwards of $250.
- Kilima Safari Camp: Positioned adjoining to the park, the camp provides spacious lodging in a 4-poster mattress fitted with mosquito internet and different facilities. All rooms within the camp have a seating space and personal rest room. An evening’s keep right here will value you $400.
- Amboseli Serena Lodge: This can be a non-public massive group lodge and its brick and mortar mannequin gives the standard lodging expertise for guests who should not used to the nighttime roar of the searching lioness. Its hunkered down prime place within the park permits it to boast of the spectacular views of the Kilimanjaro. The usual value for an evening keep is roughly $290. The ability additionally gives particular provide packages for vacationers all 12 months spherical and through particular seasons.
- Porini Amboseli Camp: This camp is owned by the well-known Porini Safari Firm and it’s situated exterior the park within the Selenkay conservancy. It has a complete of 9 en-suite tents with conventional safari design, easy furnishing, spacious rooms and cozy thick rugs. Lodging per evening is $640 and that is inclusive of guided sport drives, bush walks, sundowner, and entry to the viewing platforms over watering holes.
- Elewana Tortilis Camp: This 5-star non-public tented camp is to the south-west of the park adjoining to a non-public conservancy—Kitirua Wildlife Conservancy. Lodging right here entails 16 luxurious makuti- thatched (sundried leaves of the coconut palms) tents, every with twin or double beds, en-suite baths, and verandah. It’s barely above up-market costs for the luxurious expertise. Amenities right here embrace lounge and bar, swimming pool, spa, free Wi-Fi, present store, guided bushwalks, birding, kids actions, sundowners, and cultural neighborhood visits.
- Ol tukai Lodge: This eco-rated lodge is on the coronary heart of the park presenting distinctive out of doors and indoor amenities. It’s a getaway for an enthralling modern retreat. It’s the prime spot for watching the elephant herds with the backdrop of the Kilimanjaro. Thus, probably the most most popular by guests visiting the park. This facility is designed to create consolation for its guests by prioritizing their security and comfort whereas shifting across the park.
- Kilimanjaro Visitor Home: That is one other lodging facility within the park at Iremito gate managed by the KWS. This facility hosts as much as 7pax and that is perfect for a household set-up. You’ll be able to get pleasure from actions like tenting, sport viewing and picnicking on the banda. Notably, the banda is on self-catering foundation. What higher technique to get pleasure from household time than cooking collectively whereas having fun with the panoramic views of the wild!
- Simba Cottages: This banda can also be managed by the KWS and hosts two folks. Much like the Kilimanjaro visitor home, you’ll be able to get pleasure from a picnic setting, sport viewing, and tenting right here. It’s also on self-catering foundation.
- Get a neighborhood Safaricom Sim with activated Mpesa (cell cash service), as this can assist you to in conducting money transactions as having access to some banks exterior Nairobi could be difficult. Moreover, Safaricom has nice community protection throughout the nation.
- Study a number of Swahili phrases like greetings makes nice dialog starters particularly when interacting with the local people (additionally try these cultural greetings in Africa). For instance:
Sasa – Hello/ Good morning
Asante/ nashukuru – thanks
Karibu – Welcome
Final however not least, bear in mind to hold a re-usable water bottle for rehydration. Our parks don’t enable single use plastics. Let’s develop the #BringYourOwnBottle problem and cease plastic air pollution.
See additionally: Kenya eVisa: Every thing it’s essential know