If you would like a tasty plant-based dinner, you’ll love these vegan Tofu Poke Bowls that substitute tuna poke with tofu.
Tofu Poke Bowl
I preserve getting requests for extra plant based mostly recipe. I LOVED these Tofu Poke Bowls! Excessive in protein, straightforward to make and cheaper than utilizing sushi grade fish. Conventional poke bowls are served with sushi-grade tuna, shrimp, or different uncooked or cooked fish and served over rice or greens with recent greens and a savory or spicy sauce. Whereas I really like a traditional ahi poke bowl, I wished to develop a vegan choice so vegetarians or these making an attempt to include extra plant-based proteins might take pleasure in them too. This straightforward model, made with recent garlicky-soy marinated tofu, works so effectively—I’m certain you’ll like it! Extra tofu recipes you could take pleasure in are these Spicy Gochujang Tofu Bowls and Sriracha Tofu Rice Bowls.
In case you’ve by no means tried tofu earlier than, it’s mainly a clean slate absorbing any flavors you marinate it with. This can be a nice newbie tofu recipe to strive!
Tofu Poke Bowl Components
- Tofu: Drain one package deal of additional agency tofu.
- Soy Sauce: Use reduced-sodium soy sauce or gluten-free tamari.
- Garlic: Crush or finely mince 4 garlic cloves.
- Scallions: Chop the scallions and separate the whites from the greens.
- Cornstarch: Toss a half tablespoon over the tofu.
- Sesame Oil for cooking the tofu in
- Greens: I used blended greens, however spinach or arugula would even be good.
- Rice: Microwave frozen brown rice to avoid wasting time.
- Greens: Cucumber, avocado, shelled edamame
- Sesame Seeds for garnish
- Poke Bowl Sauce: Prime your bowl with sriracha mayo or sriracha for an additional kick. Remember to use egg-free mayo if you wish to make this vegan.
Methods to put together tofu earlier than cooking
- Dry out Tofu: It’s important to squeeze out all of the water from tofu earlier than cooking it to get it crispy. To take action, switch the tofu to a plate lined with paper towels or a tea towel. Then cowl it with one other towel, and place a heavy pan on it to press out the liquid.
- Minimize Tofu: Place the tofu on its facet on a chopping board, and slice it in half lengthwise. Flip it again over so it’s mendacity flat, and lower it into 32 equal cubes. Put the cubes in a good layer in a shallow container.
- Marinate Tofu: Mix the soy sauce and garlic to make the marinade, and pour half of it over the tofu, ensuring all sides are coated. Marinate for not less than half-hour.
Methods to Make Tofu Poke Bowls
- Cucumber and Scallions: Peel and cube the cucumber and chop the scallions. Put the cucumber and scallion whites in a small bowl and toss with two tablespoons of the marinade.
- Tofu: Coat the marinated tofu with the cornstarch. Warmth the sesame oil in a big skillet over excessive warmth, prepare dinner the tofu for a few minutes till it’s browned, after which flip. Proceed flipping and cooking till all sides are browned. Toss the tofu with the remaining marinade.
- Assemble the Bowls: Layer two bowls with greens, rice, edamame, avocado, tofu, and the cucumber/scallion combination. Garnish with scallion greens, sesame seeds, and sriracha mayo if you need a spicy tofu poke bowl.
Cooked tofu will last as long as 4 days refrigerated in an hermetic container. To pack the leftovers for lunch, retailer the tofu and rice in a single container, the cucumbers, scallions, and edamame in one other, and the greens in one other. Wait to slice the avocado till proper earlier than consuming.
- Protein: If you would like a extra conventional poke bowl with fish, swap the tofu for tuna.
- Poke Salad or Poke Bowl: I often order my poke bowls with half brown rice and half greens, in order that’s how I created this bowl. In case you favor, you are able to do all greens or all rice.
- Rice: Sub white rice or quinoa for brown rice.
- Cucumber: An everyday or English cucumber will work.
- Greens: Add shredded carrots or cabbage.
- Fruit: For a little bit sweetness, toss in some diced mango or pineapple.
- Spice: Prime with recent sliced jalapeños.
- Sauce: In case you don’t desire a spicy sauce, drizzle your bowl with lime wedges or additional soy sauce.
- Poke Bowl Toppings: Sprinkle the poke with furikake or crumbled seaweed.
Extra Tofu Recipes You’ll Love
Yield: 2 servings
Serving Dimension: 1 bowl
Place tofu on a paper towel or tea towel lined plate. Cowl with one other towel and place a heavy pan on high to press out extra water from tofu.
Switch to chopping board, flip on its facet and slice in half lengthwise. Flip it again over to put flat on the chopping board and lower into 32 equal cubes. Place in a medium dimension shallow container so the cubes are in 1 even layer.
In a small measuring cup or bowl, add the soy sauce and crushed garlic.
Pour ½ the marinade (about 2 tablespoons) over the tofu, gently flipping to ensure all sides are coated. Marinate for not less than half-hour.
In the meantime, peel and cube the cucumber and chop the scallions, separating whites from greens. Switch the scallion whites and cucumbers to a small bowl and toss with 2 teaspoons of the remaining marinade. Put aside.
Sprinkle marinated tofu with the cornstarch, tossing gently to coat.
In a big skillet, warmth the sesame oil over excessive warmth. Add the tofu and prepare dinner for 2- 3 minutes, till the primary facet is browned.
Flip cubes with a spatula, cooking either side for a pair minutes till evenly browned on all sides. Toss with remaining marinade.
Assemble the bowls:
In 2 shallow bowls, layer every with 1 cup greens, ½ cup rice, half the edamame and cucumber/scallion combination, 1 ounce avocado and ½ the cooked tofu.
Garnish with scallion greens, sesame seeds and sriracha mayo, if utilizing.
Please depart a score and remark letting us know the way you appreciated this recipe! This helps our enterprise to thrive and proceed offering free, high-quality recipes for you.
* if vegan, use vegan mayo blended with sriracha.
Serving: 1 bowl, Energy: 520 kcal, Carbohydrates: 47 g, Protein: 29 g, Fats: 24 g, Saturated Fats: 3 g, Sodium: 956 mg, Fiber: 12 g, Sugar: 5 g