Juicy blueberries carry their pure sweetness to this fast and straightforward blueberry sauce topping. This makes for a scrumptious of completion on so many alternative desserts like cheesecake and ice cream, and turns easy breakfast meals like entire wheat pancakes, oatmeal, and yogurt into one thing particular. You want simply 6 substances (together with water!), and you should use both contemporary or frozen blueberries.
Don’t you simply love a flexible berry sauce topping, that’s as welcome on the breakfast desk as it’s on a dessert? A topping all the time takes desserts to the subsequent degree, each when it comes to taste and in presentation for serving. I’ve raspberry dessert sauce and strawberry sauce topping… so clearly it’s about time we invite blueberries to the get together.
This recipe is similar to the topping I exploit on blueberry cream cheese pie, however, properly, saucier. For that pie topping, you need a thicker, jammier topping that units up sufficient to remain collectively once you slice into the pie.
For this blueberry sauce topping, you need to have the ability to spoon or pour it on prime of a slice of lemon cheesecake, or a dish of ice cream (perhaps even blueberry crumble ice cream!). It additionally tastes phenomenal on pancakes & waffles, stirred into yogurt, and spooned over cream cheese French toast casserole. To sum up: blueberry sauce is limitless.
Why You’ll Love This Simple Blueberry Topping
- Make it with both contemporary or frozen blueberries
- Comes collectively on the range in lower than 10 minutes
- Naturally candy from the berries—add simply 2 Tablespoons of sugar
- So versatile—scrumptious on so many desserts and even breakfast meals
- Serve heat, chilly, or room temperature—your selection!
- Freezes properly, so nice make-ahead recipe
Have you ever ever made my blueberry swirl cheesecake? At present’s topping is a bit saucier than what you employ for that cheesecake. Almost equivalent style, although.
Seize These 6 Elements:
- Water: I exploit extra water on this sauce than in comparable recipes on my web site as a result of blueberries don’t actually break down as a lot as, say, raspberries. We wish this to be a pourable/spoonable consistency proper off the warmth.
- Cornstarch: This ingredient barely thickens the sauce. You don’t want a lot, however you have to mix it with a bit liquid earlier than including to the berries, in any other case you’ll have lumps of powdery cornstarch in your completed sauce. Cornstarch is often blended with water to make a “slurry” earlier than utilizing in sauces; see strawberry sauce for example.
- Lemon Juice: The sauce wants *one thing* to steadiness the berry and sugar, and lemon juice supplies that trace of brightness. Don’t go away it out, or the flavour will fall flat.
- Contemporary or Frozen Blueberries: Blueberries are so handy—no peeling, pitting, or chopping required! (That’s why blueberry pie is my #1 selection for a summer time pie.) Once they’re not in season, be happy to make use of frozen blueberries. If utilizing frozen, you don’t have to stir/mash the combination as a lot as a result of the blueberries break down simpler.
- Sugar: As a result of blueberries are so naturally candy, you solely want a bit sugar to sweeten this sauce—simply 2 Tablespoons.
- Vanilla Extract: Stir in a small splash of vanilla as soon as the sauce comes off the warmth. Vanilla offers the sauce dessert vibes. 😉
The way to Make It
You’ll cook dinner the combination down on the range. Heat the blueberries and sugar collectively first, and be sure you’re mashing among the blueberries together with your spoon or silicone spatula because it heats. That is particularly vital if utilizing contemporary blueberries. With frozen berries, you gained’t want to interrupt them down fairly as a lot as a result of the thawing liquid is there to assist.
You might be accountable for the thickness and consistency of this blueberry sauce topping—all of it comes all the way down to what number of blueberries you mash whereas the combination cooks.
After 3 minutes, stir within the cornstarch “slurry” comprised of cornstarch, water, and lemon juice. Let that cook dinner and thicken for a couple of minutes earlier than eradicating from warmth. Then stir within the vanilla.
The combination thickens because it cools. Off warmth, it’s heat and drippy. After cooling and refrigerating, it thickens into a skinny preserves-like consistency. If desired, you possibly can reheat the blueberry sauce topping to skinny it out.
I adore it heat on ice cream:
Can This Be a Filling for a Layer Cake?
Not as written, no. I haven’t efficiently examined a thicker cake filling model of this but; nevertheless, you may attempt lowering the water and rising the cornstarch a bit. Or attempt my raspberry cake filling as a substitute.
It might work as a cupcake filling, although! Be certain that it’s utterly cooled earlier than filling.
Makes use of for Blueberry Sauce Topping
Can I bake this in desserts? Sure, you possibly can bake this in desserts. For instance, you possibly can swap the raspberry swirl in these white chocolate raspberry cheesecake bars with this blueberry sauce (no have to pressure, simply swirl the chunky sauce into the cheesecake filling). You might additionally skip the apples on this apple crumb cake and add a layer of blueberry sauce underneath the crumb topping; and swap in blueberry sauce for the jam in these raspberry streusel bars and this raspberry twist bread.
This blueberry sauce topping comes collectively rapidly and simply on the range, and will be loved heat or chilly on many desserts and breakfast meals. You should use contemporary or frozen blueberries.
- Whisk the cornstarch, water, and lemon juice collectively till all of the cornstarch has dissolved. (I simply use a fork to combine—very straightforward.) Put aside.
- Heat the blueberries and sugar collectively in a small saucepan over medium warmth. With a wood spoon or sturdy silicone spatula, stir constantly for 3 minutes, gently smashing the berries towards the edges of the pan to assist them launch some juices. (In case you used frozen blueberries, you gained’t have to smash them as a lot as a result of they may naturally break down as they thaw over warmth.) After 3 minutes, add the cornstarch combination and proceed to stir for an additional 2–3 minutes, smashing extra berries if wanted. The combination will begin to thicken.
- Take away from warmth and stir within the vanilla. Permit to chill. The combination is liquid and drippy, however thickens significantly because it cools.
- You’ll be able to serve the sauce heat earlier than it cools utterly if desired, or retailer within the fridge for as much as 1 week. Blueberry topping shall be thick after refrigeration, so microwave for 15 seconds or heat on the range to skinny out, if desired.
- Freezing Directions: After the blueberry sauce cools utterly, freeze in a freezer-friendly container for as much as 3–6 months. Thaw on the counter or within the fridge. Heat up within the microwave or on the range, if desired.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Small Sauce Pan | Sturdy Silicone Spatula
- Different berries: I like to recommend my raspberry sauce and strawberry sauce recipes as a substitute.
- Lemon: Lemon brightens the flavour. You want 1 Tablespoon (15ml) of contemporary lemon juice.
- Chunks: The consistency is as much as you. For fewer blueberry chunks, smash the berries a bit extra because the sauce cooks. For no blueberry chunks, puree the completed sauce in a blender till you attain your required consistency.
Key phrases: blueberry sauce topping